Okay everyone, here is a riddle for you.
What can you make out of these two items, found on kijiji?
*As a side note, please do not judge my editing skills by my poorly photo-shopped table picture above. the legs were originally green, but I had already painted the legs by the time I took the "before" picture, and I wanted you to get an idea of the original state.
What I did first, as mentioned above, was paint the legs white. I painted the sides as well, and didn't realize until later that I actually didn't need to, so save yourself some time and skip painting the sides.
Next, I measured out where I wanted my tufts/buttons to be, and then drilled the holes through the top of the table in those places.
After that, I took the cover off of the little couch and chopped up the foam to lay on top of the table. I had to use every inch and scrap to cover the top, and was a little short, but I figured that when I tufted it later it wouldn't show. I used the little couch instead of just buying foam, because foam is incredibly expensive! It would have cost me at least $100 from Fabricland for the amount of foam I needed.
I used a spray adhesive, just one I found at Wal-mart in the craft section, and it worked pretty well. Don't do the spraying inside, as everything nearby will become sticky. I sprayed the pieces of foam and then stuck them to the top of the table, kneeling on them to make sure they adhered.
For this next part, I do apologize, as I was too eager to get this part done because it was already midnight, and forgot to take pictures as I went, but I will try explain what I did.
After sticking the foam down, I made holes in it on top of my drilled holes. It helps a lot when tufting. To find the holes through the foam, I used a kabob stick (because it's pointed on the end) and stuck it through the hole in the back of the table, and it poked out through the foam. That's how I knew where to dig the holes.
Next, I put batting down, doubled, on top of the foam. I cut some pieces up and stapled them under the lip, so the edge wouldn't be so obvious. I then laid my fabric on top of that.
And then it was time to tuft.
First I covered the buttons (you can find these pretty much anywhere, I got mine at Fabricland). Because I had picked a thicker fabric, I needed a hammer to get the backs into the buttons so they would stay. Make sure when you're buying the buttons to cover that you get one of the packages with the kit, otherwise it's much more difficult.
Since I didn't take pictures, I'm going to direct you to this wonderful tutorial on diamond tufting: http://blog.addicted2decorating.com/2010/08/how-to-make-diamond-tufted-upholstered.html
This is a photo of my tufting job. Listen to the tufting tutorial when is says leave it a bit loose, because then you will get the fabulous lines between buttons, giving you a diamond shape and a deeply tufted look.
When I was done, I stapled around the edges, securing the fabric tightly underneath. I started stapling at each button, creating a nice crease down the side and stapling that down first.
After cutting off the excess fabric, it was all finished!
Here's the breakdown of what it cost:
Coffee table (kijiji) - $25
Foam/Kids couch (kijiji) - $10
Fabric - $24
Buttons - $11
Batting - $16
Total Cost: $86
Compare that to $539 for the ottoman below, I think I did pretty good at saving at least $450.
Here's just a little reminder of the before and after:
I am pretty pleased with myself, it's perfect! Well, except for the corners, I want to fix those, but it's not urgent. And it's wide enough so we can use it from both couches! I'll have to post a picture of my living room when it's all completed and decorated.